NBC News: U.S. plans new safety rules to crack down on carbon monoxide poisoning from portable generators
This article was published in partnership with ProPublica, a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power, and The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan local newsroom that informs and engages with Texans. Sign up to receive ProPublica’s biggest stories as soon as they’re published, and sign up for The Brief Weekly to get up to speed on essential coverage of Texas issues.
6 people, including 4 children, hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning, Cy-Fair Fire says
HOUSTON – A family is recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning Monday afternoon, according to Cy-Fair Fire Department. The family was reportedly using a charcoal grill to heat their apartment unit at the 8500 block of Easton Commons Drive. Officials said six people, including four children that ages range from 5 to 10 years old, were transported to the hospital. The family was reportedly burning the fire for warmth for about four hours, according to Cy-Fair Fire. These produce carbon monoxide, which is a deadly, colorless and odorless gas,” the department wrote on Twitter.