HOUSTON - At least three Sam’s Club stores in the Houston area closed Thursday as part of a larger closure of 63 stores nationwide, according to a company spokeswoman.
Three of the 20 Houston-area Sam's Club locations closed Thursday. They are:
- 13331 Westheimer Road at Eldridge Parkway
- 1615 S. Loop at Fannin Street
- 2296 Marketplace Drive in New Caney
The spokeswoman said pharmacies at the closing Sam’s Club locations will remain open until Jan. 26.
[SCROLL DOWN TO SEE LIST OF 17 REMAINING LOCATIONS]
A store in the San Antonio area at 12919 San Pedro will also close on Jan. 26.
The company tweeted Thursday morning, "After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition."
A Sam's Club spokesperson told KPRC2 that employees will be paid for the next 60 days and the company hopes to transfer most affected employees to other stores.
Each location has around 150 associates, all of whom will still receive the one-time cash bonus Walmart announced Thursday, the spokesperson said.
After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition. — Sam's Club (@SamsClub) January 11, 2018
we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition — Sam's Club (@SamsClub) January 11, 2018
Walmart also announced wage increases for employees, expanded maternity and parental leave, and adoption financial assistance.
The company's starting wage will be $11 an hour, effective Feb. 17.
Walmart will provide full-time, hourly associates with 10 weeks of paid maternity leave and six weeks of paid parental leave.
The adoption benefit will total $5,000 per child for agency fees and legal or court costs.
Thursday's announced store closures come nearly two years to the day after the announced closures of 269 Walmart stores in 2016.
Two of those locations to close were in the Houston area at 7075 FM 1960 Rd. West and 2740 Gessner Rd.
Here's a list of the 17 remaining Sam's Club locations:
- 5310 S Rice Ave, Houston, TX 77081
- 13600 East Fwy, Houston, TX 77015
- 10488 Old Katy Rd., Houston, TX 77043
- 15800 S. Freeway, Pearland, TX 77584
- 11101 Fuqua St., Houston, TX 77089
- 12300 S.W. Fwy., Stafford, TX 77477
- 12205 West Rd., Houston, TX 77065
- 325 E. Richey Rd., Houston, TX 77073
- 7950 F.M. 1960 W. (Cypress Creek Pkwy), Houston, TX 77070
- 9665 Fm 1960 Bypass Rd W, Humble, TX 77338
- 351 Hwy 6, Sugar Land, TX 77478
- 155 W Eldorado Blvd., Friendswood, TX 77546
- 20424 Katy Fwy., Katy, TX 77449
- 22402 Bellaire Blvd, Richmond, TX 77407
- 19091 I 45 S, Shenandoah, TX 77385
- 6614 Gulf Freeway, La Marque, TX 77568
- 2000 Westview Blvd., Conroe, TX 77304
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.