Skip to main content

Harris County judge delays capital murder trial of Lee Gilley amid extradition limbo following recapture in Italy

Gilley, 39, is accused of killing his pregnant wife, Christa Bauer, then cutting off his ankle monitor and fleeing to Italy

Lee Gilley (KPRC 2)

HOUSTON – The judge in the capital murder case against Lee Gilley, the Harris County defendant accused of cutting off his ankle monitor and fleeing to Italy, has canceled the upcoming trial.

Judge Peyton Peebles called off the trial, which had been scheduled for later this month. A new trial date has not been set.

Prosecutors told the judge they are still working with the U.S. Department of Justice to complete a formal extradition request. That request has not yet been submitted to the Italian government.

RELATED: ‘We can still do more’: Harris Co. leader wants to improve ankle monitoring after murder defendants cut them off

Gilley, 39, is scheduled for another hearing May 26 in Turin, Italy, related to his asylum case, according to U.S. defense attorney Dick DeGuerin.

DeGuerin said he has had trouble communicating with Gilley.

Gilley was set to stand trial in the October 2024 alleged strangulation death of his pregnant wife, Christa Bauer.

Updates will be provided as extradition efforts and court proceedings continue.