PECAN GROVE, Texas – Recent coyote sightings are worrying some Houston-area residents.
Video recorded Tuesday shows a coyote hopping a six-foot fence in someone’s backyard in Pecan Grove. The animal then hopped on a shed.
In a Facebook post, Fort Bend County Precinct 1 Constable Chad Norvell said a coyote killed a woman’s French bulldog this past weekend. The woman said she saw the coyote run by her house.
“Please be aware we live among them and a 6′ fence isn’t an obstacle,” Norvell said in the post.
Here are some precautions from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department if you spot coyotes in your area:
- Keep pet food and water inside.
- Keep compost piles securely covered.
- Keep pets inside, secure them in a kennel or covered yard, or within the close presence of an adult.
- Be sure to walk pets on a leash and accompany them outside, especially at night.
- Minimize clusters of shrubs, trees and other cover and food plants near buildings and children’s play areas to avoid attracting rodents and small mammals that attract coyotes.