2 of 3 HPD officers injured in wild shootout in Third Ward released from hospital, officials say

HOUSTON – Two of the three officers who were shot following a chase on Thursday afternoon have been released from the hospital, officials said Friday.

Officers N. Gadson, 35, D. Hayden, 32, and A. Alvarez, 28, were shot after police say a suspect opened fire on them.

According to HPD’s Twitter page, officers Gadson and Hayden were released. Officer Alvarez remains hospitalized in stable condition.

All three officers work for HPD’s Northeast Patrol. HPD officials asked for prayers for the recovering officers and their families.

One of the officers was said to have been shot in the leg, the other in the arm, and the other in the foot.

They were transported by the Houston Fire Department and HPD officers to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where they were all in stable condition.

KPRC 2 sources identified the suspect as 31-year-old Roland Caballero.

The situation began when officers were called to a home in the 1500 block of Tralle Street around 2:42 p.m. Caballero was reportedly involved in a family disturbance at that location.

When police arrived, Caballero fled the initial scene, causing the three officers to initiate a chase.

Moments later, the suspect reportedly crashed the vehicle he was originally driving in the 2100 block of McGowen Street.

When the officers attempted to approach Caballero, he began shooting, hitting the trio, before fleeing the scene on foot.

The weapon he used during the shooting appeared to be some type of AR, according to witnesses.

The officers returned fire, but Caballero was able to carjack someone’s white Mercedes-Benz at gunpoint, then took off a second time.

Other HPD officers in the area then responded to the call, tracking the suspected shooter to a home in the 1800 block of Lockwood at Lyons.

Another exchange of gunfire happened with the officers who were on the scene after Caballero entered the home. It is unclear if he was hit at that time.

Caballero surrendered to police around 7:45 Thursday night, according to Chief Troy Finner. He reportedly had a gunshot wound to the neck at the time of his arrest.

As of Friday afternoon, Caballero remained in the hospital, where he awaited charges.

About the Author:

Moriah Ballard joined the KPRC 2 digital team in the fall of 2021. Prior to becoming a digital content producer in Southeast Texas and a Houstonian, Moriah was an award-winning radio host in her hometown of Lorain, Ohio and previously worked as a producer/content creator in Cleveland. Her faith, family, and community are her top passions.