Man accused of killing estranged wife before Katy standoff charged with murder

KATY, Texas – A man has been charged with murder after he killed his estranged wife Monday in west Harris County and survived a self-inflicted shot to the head during a standoff, investigators said.

Harris County deputies said prosecutors accepted the charge against Renny Nunez, 47. He has been hospitalized and is listed in critical condition, deputies said.

A family member called deputies around 5 a.m. to the Sync at Kingsland Ranch Apartments in the 21100 block of Kingsland Boulevard and said that her brother told her he killed his wife, Rebecca Zeyni Fuenmayor Soto, 35, and was going to take his own life, deputies said.

VIDEO: Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls gives an update after murder-attempted suicide in Katy

Investigators found the body of Soto, who was in her 30s, in the parking lot near her car with a gunshot wound to her head, deputies said.

According to investigators, the family told deputies the couple had been separated but had been fighting for almost two weeks. Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls said both had filed domestic complaints against each other last week.

VIDEO: SKY2 over Katy apartment complex after deadly domestic dispute

A SWAT team was called around 7 a.m. to the Willow Lake Apartments, where Nunez lives after it was reported that he would not come out of the home.

SWAT officers gave orders for Nunez to exit the apartment, but got no response, Nehls said. After deploying gas canisters in the apartment and getting no response, officers entered and found Nunez alive near the front door with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Nehls said.

“He had an enormous amount of blood around his face we called med flight," Nehls said.

The man was flown to a Houston hospital, he said.

Rigo Berto Hernandez is a resident at Willow Lake Apartments and said that he watched from his window as the SWAT team moved in.

"They were scattered everywhere, it was scary," said Hernandez.

According to investigators, Soto was moving on with her life and had a new boyfriend.

Investigators said the couple has a 2-year-old child who was not present during the shooting and is with family members. It is unclear what exactly led to the shooting.

The incident remains under investigation.