HOUSTON – Hundreds of people lined FM 2920 in Tomball Saturday for a procession in memory of Captain William "Iron Bill" Dowling.
Dowling's casket arrived at Hobby Airport Saturday. The Houston Fire Department's Honor Guard was present, as was Dowling's family.
The procession began at Hobby and continued north to Klein Funeral Home in Tomball.
"We are eternally grateful for the service and sacrifice he's made for thus community," Houston fire Chief Samuel Peña said.
Dowling died Tuesday of injuries he suffered while battling a fire at Southwest Inn in southwest Houston in May 2013. The fire claimed the lives of four other firefighters.
Dowling's courageous battle following the fire inspired many in the greater Houston area.
The Guillory family was among the crowd present to pay their respects.
"It's really awesome that all these people would come out and show their respect," Tracy Guillory said.
"He put his life in danger for all of us. So we've come to show our respect," Aron Guillory said.
Click on the link to read more about Bill Dowling's life.
Schedule for Capt. Dowling’s trip home:
Leave Durango, Coloradi, to Albuquerque, New Mexico - escorted by the Durango Fire and Police department
• 8 a.m. Saturday, March 11 - from Hood Mortuary, 1261 E 3rd Ave. Arrive Albuquerque, New Mexico – with Line of Duty Death Honors from Albuquerque Fire Department
• 11:45 a.m., Saturday, March 11- at Albuquerque International Sunport, 2200 Sunport SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106.
Leave Albuquerque, NW to Houston Hobby – Southwest is following Military/Hero Human Remains protocol throughout the flight.
• 2:40 p.m. on South West Airlines Flight 426 to Hobby Airport.
Arrive at Houston Hobby – with Full Line of Duty Death Honors from HFD
• 5:40 p.m. Saturday at Hobby Airport, 7800 Airport Blvd. Houston
• HFD Honor Guard to transfer Dowling’s body to the Honor Guard Coach.
Leave Houston Hobby to Klein Funeral Home
• 6:25 p.m. Saturday - from Houston Hobby, 7800 Airport Blvd. Houston.
• Procession – I-45 North to exit 70A to FM 2920.
Arrive at Funeral Home.
• 7:30 p.m. March 11 - at Klein Funeral Home, 1400 N. Main St., Tomball, Texas
• Wall of Honor at Klein Funeral Home.