HOUSTON - On Monday night, fans got the chance to see and snap a picture of the Houston Astros World Series trophy up close.
The Commissioner’s Trophy, as it’s called, made the first stop of its trophy tour at Mattress Firm, located at 8705 S. West Loop in Meyerland.
It was an amazing experience, awesome -- seeing all these people out here enjoying the excitement and the championship that the Astros have brought to Houston,” said Charles Mazur.
He and his family were the first in line and arrived five hours early to get a photo opportunity.
“It’s just amazing bringing my family here. I brought them to experience it and hopefully more to come,” said Mazur.
Mattress Firm is hosting a 100-stop tour so fans across the state can see the 30-pound trophy in person.
“It’s just a chance to celebrate this historic moment in Houston, Texas, and let the fans experience the World Series trophy,” said Megan Anderson, who works with Mattress Firm.
The trophy will travel to Academy Sports and Outdoors stores in Sunset Valley on Wednesday and to San Antonio on Thursday.
The trophy will be back in Houston on Jan. 27, where fans can see it from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Sam Houston Race Park.
It will also be part of a three-day stint at the Houston Museum of Natural Science in March and a two-day display at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York, in August.
Fans can snap photos with the trophy for free at most locations.
Times and locations are subject to change. The full schedule is being updated at mlb.com/astros as new stops are added.
- Monday, Jan. 8: Mattress Firm, 8705 S. West Loop #500 Houston, Texas 77096 from 6-7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 9: Texas State Capitol, Governor's Public Reception Room, Room 2S.1, 1100 Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701 from 3-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 10: Academy Sports + Outdoors, 5400 Brodie Lane, Sunset Valley, TX 78745 from 5-6 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 11: Academy Sports + Outdoors, 7523 N.W. Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78245 from 5-6 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 27: Sam Houston Race Park, 7575 North Sam Houston Parkway W, Houston, TX 77064 from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- March 16-18: Houston Museum of Natural Science, 5555 Hermann Park, Houston TX 77030, time TBD
- Aug. 4-5: National Baseball Hall of Fame, 25 Main Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326, time TBD
Anderson said they Mattress Firm will announce more pop-up locations here.
She said it’s an honor for Mattress Firm because the company was founded in Houston 30 years ago.
“To see the Astros win the World Series, it’s just absolutely incredible and we just couldn’t be more proud to be a part of that,” she said.
Many fans agreed that getting the chance to take a picture with the trophy was pretty exciting.
“I mean, you see it on TV. You see it everywhere. You saw players hold it up. I mean, I saw it during the parade and it’s just so crazy that I’m right next to it, being part of history. You know?” said Everado Escobedo, who took a picture with the trophy.
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.