Astros 2B Jose Altuve earns 5th consecutive Silver Slugger award
HOUSTON – Astros All-Star second baseman Jose Altuve won his fifth consecutive Silver Slugger Award, Louisville Slugger announced Thursday night.
Altuve has won the award in each season since 2014.
He joins Craig Biggio as the only players in Astros history to win the award five times.
The Louisville Slugger Silver Slugger Award is is the top offensive honor in Major League Baseball. Managers and coaches of all 30 Major League Baseball teams vote for the players they feel are the best offensive producers at each position in both the American and National Leagues.
Altuve, 28, hit .316 (169x534) with 29 doubles, 13 home runs, 61 RBI, 17 stolen bases and an .837 OPS (.386 OBP/.451 SLG) in 137 games for the Astros this season.
He was named to his sixth All-Star team.
A knee injury slowed Altuve in the second half of the season and required him to have offseason surgery. He is expected to be fully recovered by spring training.
Altuve is the only Astros player to win the Silver Slugger five times in a row. He is the second second baseman to pull off the feat, joining Ryne Sandberg, of the Chicago Cubs, who won five in a row from 1998-1992.
Here is a list of the winners:
- Catcher - Salvador Perez, Kansas City
- First base - Jose Abreu, Chicago
- Second base - Jose Altuve, Houston
- Third base - Jose Ramirez, Cleveland
- Shortstop - Francisco Lindor, Cleveland
- Outfield - Mookie Betts, Boston
- Outfield - Mike Trout, Los Angeles
- Outfield - J.D. Martinez, Boston
- Designated hitter - J.D. Martinez, Boston
- Catcher - J.T. Realmuto, Miami
- First base - Paul Goldschmidt, Arizona
- Second base - Javier Baez, Chicago
- Third base - Nolan Arenado, Colorado
- Shortstop - Trevor Story, Colorado
- Outfield - Christian Yelich, Milwaukee
- Outfield - David Peralta, Arizona
- Outfield - Nick Markakis, Atlanta
- Pitcher - German Marquez, Colorado
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.