2017 Houston Texans preseason schedule released
HOUSTON – The preseason schedule for the Houston Texans was released on Monday.
The Texans will take on the Panthers, Patriots, Saints and Cowboys.
Here is the full list of preseason games:
- Week 1, Aug. 10-14 at Carolina
- Week 2, Aug. 17-21 vs. New England
- Week 3, Aug. 24-28 at New Orleans
- Week 4, Aug. 31-Sept. 1 vs. Dallas
Kickoff times are yet to be determined.
The matchup with the Panthers in Week 1 is only the second time the two teams have faced off in the preseason. Houston won the first matchup 26-13 in Carolina in 2012. The Texans and Panthers most recently met in the 2015 regular season, a 24-17 victory for Carolina to tie the all-time regular season series at 2-2.
In Week 2, the Texans will welcome the defending Super Bowl Champions to NRG Stadium for the first-ever matchup between the two teams in the preseason. Houston and New England met in Week 3 of the regular season last year and in the AFC Divisional Round in Foxborough.
Houston will go on the road in Week 3 to face New Orleans for the ninth time in 10 years and 10th time overall in the preseason. The Texans lead the all-time preseason series between the two teams at 5-4, with Houston winning both of the last two meetings, including a 16-9 victory at NRG Stadium in 2016.
Week 4 marks the third straight year the Texans will wrap up the preseason against the Cowboys and 10th preseason matchup overall between the two teams. Houston leads the head-to-head preseason series at 5-4, dating back to the first contest in 2003. The Texans won 28-17 last season at AT&T Stadium to close out the preseason.
Last year, the Texans played the 49ers in Santa Clara, the Saints and the Cardinals at NRG Stadium, and took on the Cowboys in Arlington in the preseason finale.
Since 2007, the Texans have played the Saints in every preseason except for 2014.
This year, O'Brien and the Texans will hold their training camp at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.
The Texans begin their fourth offseason workout program under head coach Bill O’Brien this month.
Players return to NRG Stadium on April 17 for the start of the nine-week voluntary offseason program.
Other important dates on the 2017 offseason schedule:
- April 17: Offseason workouts begin
- April 17-21: Offseason workouts (Phase 1, Week 1)
- April 24-28: Offseason workouts (Phase 1, Week 2)
- May 1-5: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 3)
- May 8-12: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 4)
- May 12-14: Three-day rookie minicamp
- May 15-19: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 5)
- May 22: Start of OTAs (organized team activities)
- May 22-May 23, May 25: OTA #1, 2, 3 (Phase 3, Week 6)
- May 30-31, June 1: OTA #4, 5, 6 (Phase 3, Week 7)
- June 5-6, June 8-9: OTA #7, 8, 9, 10 (Phase 3, Week 8)
- June 13-15: Mandatory Minicamp (Phase 3, Week 9). This is the only portion of offseason workout program that is mandatory.
Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.
Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a "separates" basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.
Phase Three consists of the next four weeks of the program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of OTA activity. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.