HOUSTON - A family is warning others and mourning the loss of their son after he was electrocuted on Tuesday while walking in floodwater in Bear Creek Village.
Andrew Pasek, 25, went to his sister’s flooded neighborhood to feed her cat and check on the house, according to his family.
“He cannot die in vain. I mean we really want to get this out to the public to be aware, to know about the dangers of the water and electricity,” said Pasek’s mother.
“It was just a terrible mistake, accident that shouldn’t have happened,” said Pasek’s sister, Alyssa. “They were going to wade in the water, they were only in about knee-deep water and walking through the neighbors' yards because the water was more shallow. He got too close to an electrical wire that was still running hot.”
Pasek was with a friend when he was trying to get to his sister’s home. After Pasek felt the current run through his ankle, he told his friend to stay back.
“He told Sean (his friend), ‘I’m dying. Go away. Don’t help me,'” said Pasek’s mother. “He didn’t want him to get electrocuted too.”
The family said they want to make sure people are aware of where they are stepping when they wander into floodwaters.
“Be aware of you situations, look around see if there’s electricity on. It should have never been on, it should have been turned off," Alyssa said.
It’s a heartbreak the Pasek family has gone through before. Their son E.J. Donnelley died in a car crash in 1993.
“I'm pulling my strength from the fact I’ve been through it once and I can get through it,” said Pasek’s mother.
Pasek, who was an Eagle Scout and known for always helping others, was in the automotive industry.
His family said first responders recovered his body on Tuesday and took it to the medical examiner’s office.
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.