Man arrested, charged in fatal shooting of Houston mother who was dropping her son off at US Naval Academy

Michelle Cummings was killed by a stray bullet in Maryland
Michelle Cummings was killed by a stray bullet in Maryland

HOUSTON – Annapolis Police Chief Edward Jackson announced Wednesday that an arrest has been made in the fatal shooting of Houston mom Michelle Cummings on June 29.

The Cummings family was in Maryland to drop off their son, Trey, at the United States Naval Academy for his induction ceremony.

Michelle Cummings, 57, and her husband were on the patio of the Graduate Hotel when police say two stray bullets hit and killed Cummings. Police said she was not the intended target, but the shots that were being fired traveled a distance, striking Cummings.

Stray bullet kills Houston mother who was dropping her son off at Naval Academy in Maryland

A $57,000 reward was offered for information that led to an arrest, according to authorities.

Chief Jackson was joined by Mayor Gavin Buckley, leaders from the FBI and ATF, and United States Naval Academy Superintendent Sean Buck during the announcement.

“We promised. I gave my word as the chief of police that we would do everything we could to arrest the person responsible for the tragic death of Ms. Cummings. That promise was kept today,” the chief said.

Jackson announced that Angelo Harrod, 29, of Annapolis, has been arrested and charged in the fatal shooting of Cummings. Harrod was charged with two counts of first-degree murder, second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, manslaughter, use of a firearm in violent crime, being in possession of a loaded handgun and endangerment, according to Jackson. Harrod is being held at the Jennifer Road Detention Center without bond.

“I also want to make the point that there were two other victims in this case, and I don’t want the public to forget that. As horrific and as tragic as Michelle Cummings’ murder was, there was also an attack to murder two other citizens that night on Pleasant Street,” Jackson said.

Police said investigators were able to identify Harrod as a person of interest and later primary suspect after reviewing surveillance video from the crime scene and then used that evidence to gain additional information that led to the charges that have been filed against Harrod. Jackson said he was arrested on June 29 by a patrol uniformed officers and booked on an outstanding warrant where he was held without bond since June 30.

Jackson said it was later discovered that Harrod was a fugitive after cutting off his ankle monitor on May 3, and has been on the run since. Harrod was confined to a home detention center from unrelated charges before cutting off his ankle bracelet.

Jackson thanked all officers and agencies involved that helped lead to an arrest. He said that the department has not recovered the weapon used in the crime and could not release information about the confrontation that led up to the shooting.

The Annapolis Police Department said the investigation is still ongoing and urges anyone with information about the shooting to call its detectives at 410-260-3439.

A family friend released a statement to KPRC 2 on behalf of Michelle’s husband, Leonard “Truck” Cummings:

“My family and I are elated that an arrest has been made in the senseless murder of my beloved wife, Michelle Cummings. We hope and pray that this arrest will start the healing process by providing answers to the many questions that my family has about the circumstances surrounding her senseless death.

I would like to thank the following:

• Annapolis Police Chief, Ed Jackson and his detectives

• FBI Field Agents

• Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley

• Maryland Governor Larry Hogan

• Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee

• The entire U.S. Naval Academy family

• The Annapolis Community

• Members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

• Members of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc.

• The Divine 9

• The Motherhood of the Brotherhood,

• The Navy Football Parents Tailgate Club

My great friend, Ronald Alfred

We also offer special thanks to all the wonderful folks across America who have kept Michelle’s story at the forefront and for supporting my family during the past three weeks. We have been amazed and comforted by the outpouring of love, prayer, donations, and support from all corners of this great nation.

This is only the beginning. We will be actively involved with the appropriate authorities for as long as it takes to ensure that justice will prevail and the perpetrator of this crime is prosecuted to the full extent of the law,” Cummings said.

About the Author:

Award-winning journalist, mother, YouTuber, social media guru, millennial, mentor, storyteller, University of Houston alumna and Houston-native.