HOUSTON – Firefighters were battling a large fire Monday at an apartment in the Gulfton neighborhood in southwest Houston.
The fire was reported around 2 p.m. at the Pelican Pointe Apartments, where smoke billowed into the air until around 5 p.m.
Houston firefighters said they reported to a call of an apartment fire. They said the fourth alarm was called after the roof of the apartment partially collapsed, trapping one firefighter. That firefighter was saved and was unharmed, officials said.
In responding to the fire, two firefighters suffered minor injuries and were taken to the hospital. Residents said the complex had power before the fire. Firefighters are still determining the cause of the fire.
About 80 families were displaced by the blaze, according to Assistant Fire Chief, Michael Mire.
Mire said the Red Cross found a place for the residents to stay.
One resident, Milo Mendoza, said he saw the fire when it happened.
“I thank God he gave me time,” Mendoza said.
Officials warned other residents to be cautious with the current weather conditions.
“Large portions of the city have lost power. So be very careful in trying to heat your home through alternative measures...bringing in a barbecue pit, using an electric heater or even your stove or oven. That is a very dangerous way to heat your home, especially concerns for carbon monoxide,” Mire warned.