HOUSTON – Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said during remarks Wednesday that a Houston police officer, on his own time, attended the Trump rally in Washington, D.C. and then “penetrated” the Capitol Building last week.
There is an investigation underway and Acevedo said he is “highly confident” the officer will be facing federal charges. The officer has been placed on administrative leave, Acevedo said.
Here’s what we know so far about that officer:
- Sources told KPRC 2 the officer’s name is Tam Dinh Pham. A KPRC 2 source said he was relieved of duty Wednesday morning.
- Acevedo said Pham has 18 years of service with the department.
- He has no previous disciplinary issues, according to Acevedo.
- The chief said the officer traveled alone to Washington.
- Potential criminal charges involving Pham or other individuals are expected to come out of Washington D.C. as they are leading the massive investigation. However, local federal agencies are providing support in the investigative process.
- HPD’s union tells KPRC 2 that Pham’s resignation is expected on Thursday.