HOUSTON – It was announced that President Donald Trump is attending a Howdy Modi event with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, of India, Sunday.
At least 50,000 attendees will flock to the free summit at NRG Stadium to honor Modi. Visiting guests will also come, adding to Houston's traffic.
Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo announced traffic plans and answered questions Friday at 3 p.m. on what motorists, attendees and protesters can expect.
Acevedo said those who arrive early will not be able to access the area or the parking lot until 6 a.m. Sunday.
Here's what you should know about the following street closures:
- Fannin Street, South Main and 610 South Loop West will be heavily affected.
- There will be a total closure on Kirby Drive from Interstate 610 to La Concha Lane, beginning Saturday at 8 p.m. until the conclusion of the event.
- Buses and attendees should arrive at the Blue parking lot and enter Gate 6.
- Protesters are asked to go to the south side of the NRG Stadium, located at Kirby Drive and Westridge Street.
- Supporters are asked to go the north side of the NRG Stadium, located at Kirby Drive and McNee Road.