What's new at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in 2018?
HOUSTON – It's that time of the year again, and this rodeo season there are a number of new things to check out at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo at NRG Park.
Garth Brooks will be the first entertainer to perform on RODEOHOUSTON’S new rotating concert stage, debuting in 2018.
The star-shaped stage is complete with:
- A 48-foot diameter rotating performance area, expanding the footprint of the previous stage by 8 feet.
- Five star points extending a length of 36 feet each, which can be raised or lowered individually or simultaneously.
- Some 434 lights, four times as many lights as the previous stage.
- A laser-guided positioning system which allows the stage to be positioned in the precise center of NRG Stadium every night.
- A 28-foot tall, motion-controlled video backdrop.
Tip to tip, the new stage is 126 feet wide, and was engineered and manufactured by TAIT, the leader in entertainment automation technology. This world-class stage features the latest advancements to boost concert presentation and fan experience.
- New for 2018, is the NavCam, an aerial camera that will be used in NRG Stadium during the rodeo and concert performance. The NavCam is controlled by the same technology as the new RODEOHOUSTON stage. This new camera will provide camera angles and perspectives that we have not had in the past for rodeo and concert. This technology is similar to what is used in the NFL.
- In previous years, open captioning has been provided in NRG Stadium on displays in the northwest and southeast corners of the stadium. In 2018, in addition to the captioning on the displays, captioning will also be available on patron’s mobile devices. Users can visit rodeohouston.com/captions to see real-time captioning of announcer’s spoken words and song lyrics during concerts.
Lyft and ride-sharing
- Lyft is the official rideshare provider for the 2018 show. The new drop-off and pick-up location for ride sharing in 2018 will be located in the Green Lot. Entrance for the location is Gate 13D off Westridge from the north bound lanes of Main Street (only access to the lot). There is no left turn lane access allowed from the southbound lanes of Main Street.
- Flash Seats, digital tickets, allows you to enter NRG Park grounds with a simple scan of the mobile ID in your Flash Seats mobile app or with the swipe of a registered credit card or Texas driver’s license. For those that can no longer attend the show, Flash Seats also allows you to easily sell or transfer your tickets. More information about Flash Seats can be found online at rodeohouston.com/flashseats.
- The RODEOHOUSTON Marketplace provides ticket holders a secure online portal to resell and purchase Rodeo tickets with confidence, and provides buyers with the security of knowing that tickets purchased on the RODEOHOUSTON Marketplace are valid for entry. Visit the RODEOHOUSTON Marketplace at rodeohouston.flashseats.com.
Fansight by AXS
- When you purchase rodeo tickets, all seats are now viewable through FanSight, the interactive seating selection tool operated by AXS. FanSight provides the industry’s only 3D customized viewing experience where you will get an exclusive digital visualization from each individual seat inside NRG Stadium.
- Extreme – Extreme is a velocity swing ride that swings you from side to side, reaching heights of 65 feet while rotating.
- Flying Jumbo – This family ride provides interactive controls that allows each rider the ability to raise or lower each elephant.
- Konga – The Konga is a jungle-themed bench ride, with high speed side to side movement, with a water feature.
- Rockin’ Rodeo – This two-story mirror maze features a rodeo theme on the front, a classic glass house on the first floor, trick mirrors on the second floor and a spiral slide to the end the experience.
- Big Water & Ramp Water: These group games allow multiple players to shoot water into targets, and the first one to reach the top wins big prizes.
- Retired stage — Picture yourself on the stage used for 30+ years. A piece of the stage will be on display in Show Pride, located in the lobby of NRG Center on the west end.
- “Bowlegged H” — A 15-foot-tall “Bowlegged H” logo will be located on the northeast side of NRG Stadium, providing the perfect photo opportunity for fans to commemorate their visit to the 2018 rodeo.
- The Four Pillars of Rodeo by Gonzo247 – Gonzo247 is creating a four-sided, custom art piece for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, highlighting the four pillars of the rodeo — Agriculture, Education, Entertainment and Western Heritage.
- Selfie Frames — Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo volunteers will be stationed at the entrance gates and throughout the grounds with selfie frames, and helping fans with their photos.
- Art: William K. Stidham – heART
- Clothing and Shoes: Rockwell Tharp
- Home, Gifts & Garden: Fire & Pine
- Jewelry: Artemis Designs
- Leather Goods: Vintage Boho Loves Louis
- Specialties: Driftless Studios
- House of Pistachios
- Big Creek Farms
- Dark Canyon Iron Ranch
- Cowboy Collectibles
The Lone Star Market
- The Lone Star Market is a new outdoor shopping location, located on the west side of the NRG Astrodome, featuring new local businesses throughout the Rodeo. A variety of products will be featured from leather goods to food options, to art pieces. Be sure to see what’s new at the Lone Star Market each time you visit.
- Fruteria Cano
- The Original Minneapple Pie
- In the Carnival Midway
- Get Fried – Get Fried includes hot and fresh chicken on-a-stick, fresh cut fries that may be topped with garlic, truffle oil, chili and cheese. Get Fried also serves fruity pebbles shrimp on-a-stick, jumbo grilled chicken and beef kabobs, and fresh squeezed lemonade.
- Totally Baked – Totally Baked features freshly baked buckets of cookies, giant ice cream sandwiches and dipper cups of cookies with hand-dipped ice cream topped with caramel or chocolate syrups. Cookie flavors include chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin and macadamia nut. Totally Baked also serves ice cold milk, hot coffee and Frappuccino.
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.