AUSTIN, Texas – One person was killed and hundreds of others were evacuated after being exposed to a chemical at an apartment complex near the University of Texas campus in Austin, according to KXAN.com.
The reports states students living at 21 Pearl in West Campus — an area outside the UT campus — were evacuated around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday after being exposed to hydrogen sulfide. Five other people were treated and released at the scene, sources said. According to KXAN.com, a woman who was the property manager was taken to the hospital in stable condition.
The Austin Fire Department said they found a sign on the door of one residence that read: "Danger: Watch out, hydrogen sulfide." AFD said they also immediately discovered a person in cardiac arrest.
KXAN.com said first responders switched to HazMat gear to handle the situation.
"Crews quickly started ventilation and going door-to-door to make sure everyone was okay," AFD Division Chief Palmer Buck told KXAN.com.
KXAN.com reports the victim was a man in his 20s.
Investigators said hydrogen sulfide is commonly used in hydrogen suicides.