Space heater to blame for house fire in Humble

HUMBLE, Texas – A space heater is blamed for a house fire in Humble.

The fire at a Fourplex home on Wilson Road sparked at around 5:15 a.m. Wednesday.

There was one man home at the time, and he told the fire department that he fell asleep in a recliner chair with a blanket and space heater next to him. He said he woke up to go to the bathroom and accidentally laid the blanket on the space heater. When he came out, he said he saw the fire.

The man said he got a fire extinguisher and tried to put it out, but it didn't work and got worse. He made it out safely without injuries.

Firefighters say they ventilated the roof and got the fire under control to keep it from spreading to any of the other three units.

Officials are working to restore the water and power now. They said the other units have smoke and water damage, but were not affected by the fire.