A hurricane watch means hurricane conditions pose a possible threat to the area within 36 hours.
- Frequently monitor radio, TV, or hurricane hotline telephone numbers for official bulletins of the storm's progress.
- Fuel and service family vehicles.
- Inspect and secure mobile home tie downs. Prepare to cover all window and door openings with shutters or plywood.
- Store and secure outdoor lawn furniture and other loose, lightweight objects, such as garbage cans, garden tools, potted plants, etc.
- Help your animals avoid shattering glass and falling objects. Don't place your pet's bed below windows or shelving.
- Check food and water supplies. Have clean, air-tight containers on hand to store at least two weeks of drinking water (about 14 gallons per person). Stock up on can provisions. Get camping stove with fuel.
- Keep a small cooler with frozen gel packs handy for packing refrigerated items.
- Check prescription medicines -- obtain at least 10 days supply.
- Stock up on extra batteries for radios, flashlights, and lanterns and check for ample first aid supplies.
- Have extra supply of cash on hand.
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.