Simpson returning to PGA Tour after family coronavirus scare

Full Screen
1 / 10

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Bubba Watson and Harold Varner III, left, show off the winner's belts after their win in a nine-hole exhibition against Jason Day and Wesley Bryan ahead of the Rocket Mortgage Classic golf tournament, Wednesday, July 1, 2020, at the Detroit Golf Club in Detroit. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

Webb Simpson is competing on the PGA Tour again after his family had a coronavirus scare.

One of Simpson’s daughters tested positive for COVID-19, leading to him withdrawing from last week’s tournament as a precaution.

“The first test was positive, but (she) got tested again by the more accurate tests, along with my other four kids and my wife, and everyone was negative," Simpson said Wednesday, a day before the first round of the Rocket Mortgage Classic. “So we felt confident that she never had it."

Simpson, who leads the tour in FedEx Cup points and scoring average, is attempting to become the PGA Tour's first player with three victories during this pandemic-interrupted year.

Most importantly, the No. 6 player in the world is trying to stay healthy. And Simpson does not believe that doing his job is putting him or his family at risk.

“I mentioned to the commissioner last week that based on our numbers, our stats, I told him the safest place anyone can be in the United States right now is on the PGA Tour," Simpson said. “We had at that point, I think seven out of 2,300, 2,400 positive, which is amazing. ... But I do think the elephant in the room and the tough thing that they’re dealing with every week is these positives."

Chad Campbell withdrew from the Rocket Mortage Classic on Tuesday after becoming the sixth player to test positive for the coronavirus as the PGA Tour entered a fourth week of its restart.

The tour policy requires self-isolation for at least 10 days. Earlier this week, Harris English tested positive and also withdrew from the tournament.