HOUSTON – TxDOT and other transportation officials across Houston have partnered to launch a mobility app for area commuters.
Transportation Commissioner Laura Ryan, TxDOT Houston District Engineer Eliza Paul, METRO President and CEO Tom Lambert and Harris County Toll Road Authority Director Roberto Trevino spoke about Houston ConnectSmart, a new smartphone app that provides all transit options in the Houston area on one platform, including routes whether traveling by car, bus, rail, bicycle, foot or carpool, and transit ticketing.
In addition to helping reduce traffic congestion, the app will help reduce the harmful air emissions throughout the eight-county region, which is composed of Harris, Montgomery, Liberty, Chambers, Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend, and Waller counties and anchored by the city of Houston.
Here’s what the Mayor of Houston, Sylvester Turner, had to say:
“We are asking you, the regional commuter, to join the team,” said Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner. “Download and use the app. Consider one of our many options for commuting. Try one out. And you will help to reduce traffic and improve our air quality. I urge regional business leaders to make the ConnectSmart app a key feature of your commute solutions portfolio and I encourage employees to use the app.”
How do I use it?
- Check out the nearest BCycle station: Biking options are plentiful as well. Cyclists can choose between routes that are faster and more direct or more bike-friendly and use Houston’s High Comfort bike lanes by applying ConnectSmart’s unique bicycle comfort scores. And those in need of a short-term ride can find nearby BCycle bike-share stations through the app.
- Easily connect multiple modes of transportation together into one convenient trip. The app is connected to real-time traffic updates provided by HoustonTranstar, so drivers will see the latest traffic conditions to better plan their drive. Construction updates will also be available through this app.
- Pay for bus and light rail tickets through the app: Find the best route from your current location, and purchase your ticket on the app. You’ll just have to link your payment information and buy coins that allow you to then purchase the tickets you need.
- Map your walk for the safest stroll to your next destination.
- Carpool with co-workers, family, friends, and more
- Earn rewards for METRO transit tickets and gift cards to your favorite stores and restaurants! Click here to learn more.