HOUSTON – David Ray Conley, the man who was charged for murdering eight people, including six children and two adults, has been found guilty.
He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, Harris County District Attorney’s Office announced Thursday.
The jury presented the verdict to the judge earlier Thursday morning at the Harris County Criminal Court.
“How could anyone look into the eyes of children handcuffed to their beds and slaughter them one by one?” Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg said. “We are forever indebted to the jurors who listened to the excruciating evidence, thoughtfully deliberated, and delivered justice.”
The case started with deputies performing welfare checks at the 2000 block of Falling Oaks Road that led to the discovery of eight bodies inside a home in August 2015.
After finding a dead body through a window, deputies were then engaged in a standoff against Conley that was met in gunfire. He then surrendered by authorities.
Conley was arrested and charged for capital murder of his ex-girlfriend, Valerie Jackson, her husband and six children at his Houston-area home. The children’s ages range from 6-13 years old.
Authorities said Thursday Conley had a violent criminal history with Jackson and all six children had been removed from home by CPS in 2013 after allegations of domestic violence, the Associated Press reported.
Both state and federal experts concluded on Thursday that Conley will not face the death penalty due to him being intellectually disabled.
View all of KPRC 2′s coverage here: