HUMBLE, Texas – The Humble Independent School District board voted to update the district’s mask policy Thursday. The updated policy is effective immediately.
The updated protocols make face coverings optional for all elementary school students. Prior to the update, masks were optional for students under 10 and required for students 10 and older.
The updated protocols also make face coverings optional for participants at an outdoor event or activity. Outdoor events and activities include recess, outdoor PE, senior picnics and any other outdoor events or activities.
Every student, teacher, staff member and visitor will still have to wear a mask or face shield over their nose and mouth when on school district property or at a district event wherever it is not feasible to maintain a distance of 6 feet from another person. This requirement does not include the following:
- Any elementary school student.
- Any person with a medical condition or disability that prevents wearing a mask.
- Any person while the person is consuming food or drink, or is seated in a dining area to eat or drink.
- Any person while the person is actively exercising or engaging in physical activity.
- Any spectator or participant at an outdoor event or activity (updated April 22, 2021).
- Any person while the person is giving a speech for a broadcast or to an audience.
- Any student while actively participating in an activity where it is impractical to wear a mask or face shield.