HOUSTON - The Texas Workforce Commission is accepting applications for disaster unemployment assistance as a result of Hurricane Harvey.
Individuals whose employment or self-employment was impacted by Hurricane Harvey are eligible for help.
More Jobs Headlines
- How you can help Hurricane Harvey victims
- Houston relief efforts: How to vet charities before you give
- Renting after Harvey: What you need to know to protect yourself
- Flood victims could see fewer protections with new law
- How to avoid being tricked by shady contractors
- How to check your mail, other deliveries after Houston floods
- How to clean clothes after a flood
People who live in, work in, or travel through the following counties have until Sept. 29 to apply: Colorado, Fayette, Hardin, Jasper, Jefferson, Montgomery, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Jacinto and Waller counties.
People who live in, work in, or travel through the following 29 counties have until Sept. 27 to apply: Aransas, Bee, Brazoria, Calhoun, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Harris, Jackson, Kleberg, Liberty, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Victoria and Wharton counties.
Applications can be taken online through Unemployment Benefit Services or by calling a TWC Tele-Center Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at 800-939-6631.
Individuals should specify that their applications are related to the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey.
DUA, which is an unemployment insurance benefit made available especially for victims of disaster, is available to individuals who:
- Have applied for and used all regular unemployment benefits from any state, or do not qualify for unemployment benefits Worked or were self-employed or were scheduled to begin work or self-employment in the disaster area
- Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of the disaster
- Establish that the work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income
- Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury as a direct result of the disaster
- Became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of household
To receive DUA benefits, all required documentation must be submitted within 21 days from the day the DUA application is filed.
Required documentation includes Social Security number, a copy of the most recent federal income tax form or check stubs, or documentation to support that you were working or self-employed when the disaster occurred.
Applicants must mail in or fax all required documentation within 21 days from the date of the DUA application.
Send mailed documentation to: Texas Workforce Commission, UI Support Services Department, Attn: DUA, 101 E. 15th St., N. Lamar, Austin, TX, 78778-0001, or fax it to 512-936-3250.
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.