What’s leaking in the Gulf? Oil identified in fuel leak following Pelican Island Bridge barge crash

A barge hit the Pelican Island Bridge Causeway in Galveston this morning, damaging the bridge, causing an oil spill and shutting off the only access on and off the island by car. (Copyright 2024 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.)

GALVESTON – KPRC 2 has learned what is spilling out of the barge that crashed Wednesday morning into the Pelican Island Bridge Causeway in Galveston Wednesday.

The collision damaged the bridge and caused an oil spill, shutting off the only access to and from the island by car.

Recommended Videos

The Galveston County Office of Emergency Management identified the oil as vacuum gas oil. The barge was equipped to hold at least 30,000 barrels, according to Galveston County Judge Mark Henry.

LISTEN: Dispatch audio reveals response after barge strikes Pelican Island Causeway

Vacuum gas oil from the barge has been visually confirmed in the water, according to a release. This has caused the closing of a section of the Intracoastal Waterway from Mile Marker 350.5 to Mile Marker 357, approximately 6.5 miles

Galveston County OEM officials said they do not know how much was on board or how much has leaked into the Gulf.

What is vacuum gas oil?

According to Honeywell UOP, a petroleum industry company, vacuum gas oil is a key feedstock for fluid catalytic crackers. Those are used to make transportation fuels and many other by-products.

The Environmental Protection Agency lists vacuum gas oil on its Toxic Substances Control list.

It can irritate a person’s eyes, skin and respiratory system, according to a government safety data sheet. It can also cause chemical blistering, skin cancer and genetic defects.

It’s insoluble in water, spreads on the surface, then some components will eventually sediment in water. The volatile components of the product spread in the atmosphere, and it’s very toxic to aquatic life with long-lasting effects, according to a Valero Energy company safety data sheet.

What happened

At 10 a.m. Wednesday, the barge, owned by Martin Petroleum, collided with the Pelican Island Bridge that connects Galveston Island to Pelican Island.

Power was temporarily interrupted to Pelican Island, which is home to Texas A&M Galveston.

Additionally, Texas A&M has canceled classes for the day, which roughly affected only 30 students because it’s the end of the semester. They’re opening their cafeteria for any students stuck there.

Secondary power was restored to Pelican Island, officials said.

LATEST UPDATES: Fuel barge crashes into Pelican Island Causeway in Galveston, spilling oil and shutting down access to Pelican Island

Vehicle traffic across the Pelican Island Bridge and and vessel traffic in the channel have been halted due to the crash as structural impact to the bridge is being inspected by the Texas Department of Transportation.

Over 2,000 people including faculty, staff and students at Texas A&M in Galveston depend on the bridge, according to the student newspaper.

BALTIMORE BRIDGE LATEST: Investigation continues into 4 electrical blackouts on ship that caused Baltimore bridge collapse

About the Author

Award-winning journalist, mother, YouTuber, social media guru, millennial, mentor, storyteller, University of Houston alumna and Houston-native.

Recommended Videos