Nike no longer sponsors Man United’s Greenwood after arrest

FILE- Manchester United's Mason Greenwood runs during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester United and Burnley at Old Trafford in Manchester, England, Thursday, Dec. 30, 2021. Manchester United says forward Mason Greenwood will not play or practice with the club until further notice after being accused of sexual assault by a woman, with police also looking into the incident. The statement from the Premier League club was issued on Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022 in response to allegations being posted within videos, photographs and an audio recording that are no longer visible on a womans Instagram account. (AP Photo/Rui Vieira, File) (Rui Vieira, Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

MANCHESTER – Nike is no longer sponsoring Mason Greenwood, with the Manchester United player on police bail after being questioned on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman.

The sportswear firm initially suspended its deal with Greenwood after his arrest last week, saying it was “deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations.”

Nike announced on Monday that “Mason Greenwood is no longer a Nike athlete.”

United has said the 20-year-old England forward will not be playing or practising with the club until further notice.

Greater Manchester Police said last Wednesday that Greenwood was “released on bail pending further investigation."

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports