This article is sponsored by the Houston Ballet.
Ballet is a beautiful and difficult sport. In fact, some people say it is more difficult than football. Who would have thought, right? Well, ballet dancers.
That tidbit might come as a surprise, but these shockingly awesome facts about ballet and its dancers may also catch you off guard.
1. A male ballet dancer lifts more than 1 1/2 tons of ballerinas during a performance.
2. Ballet dancers used to be strictly men, as women weren't allowed to dance in public until the late 1600s.
3. It can take up to 90 hours to make one tutu.
4. When a ballet dancer jumps en pointe, they hold three times their body weight on the tip of their big toe.
5. Some professional dancers may go through 20 pairs of ballet shoes each week.
Another tidbit about professional ballet dancers is that they typically practice 7 1/2 hours each day. At a calorie burn of about 600 per hour, you can imagine how strenuously they are training.
Pretty cool, isn't it? It's quite a sight to see in person. And you can.
Now through Sunday, the Houston Ballet is putting on "Locally Grown. World Renowned."
It has some of the most sought-after, critically acclaimed choreographers.
Do yourself a favor and see the beauty and wonder that is "Locally Grown. World Renowned" at Houston Ballet.
Click here to purchase tickets or learn more.