HOUSTON - Wanda Johnson was diagnosed with breast cancer after she saw her sister and mother also die from cancer. She is a guest on this week’s "Houston Newsmakers with Khambrel Marshall" and says the upcoming two-day Breast Health Summit was a great way to help her focus on the best way she could not only help herself but others as well.
Dr. Angel Robinson, the UTMB director of breast imaging, is co-chair of the summit, sponsored by the Breast Health Collaborative of Texas. She says the summit is for survivors, caregivers and health care professionals.
“When we put all those various groups together it lets us learn from each other,” she said. “This is a time for us to all learn from each other and all leave with increased information and knowledge.”
The Breast Health Summit is Monday and Tuesday at the Bayou City Events Center. 713-777-3200 www.bhctexas.org
Dr. Brandon Rottinghaus, a professor of political science at the University of Houston, has a unique perspective on how the tumultuous presidential political climate might affect Texas politics.
“I think Texans, like lot of voters, are as confused as goats on Astroturf,” he said. “We don’t know what to do because we don’t like either of the candidates but you definitely want to see the best policy outcome for Texas. There’s going to be this state of flux for a few years, maybe a few decades, because the situation has to sort itself out.”
We will have much more from Rottinghaus on what’s likely to happen Nov. 8, the separate but similar challenges of the Republican and Democrat parties, and much more.
Maj. Kent Davis, the new commander of the Salvation Army for the Greater Houston Area, says his organization is now in its 125th year of serving Harris, Fort Bend and Montgomery counties. With the holiday season approaching, expect bell ringers and other fundraisers that help the Salvation Army impact, give hope and change lives.
“Our mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet humans in his name without discrimination,” he said. “So I’m so thankful to be there to help those that are going through those difficult times.”
"Houston Newsmakers with Khambrel Marshall" airs every Sunday at 10 a.m. right after "Meet the Press" on KPRC Channel 2.
- Dr. Angel Robinson, UTMB director of breast imaging, co-chair Breast Health Summit Houston City Council, District D, 409-772-1011,
- http://radiology.utmb.edu/Faculty/robinson.asp, an3robin@UTMB.EDU
- Wanda Johnson, Reconstruction of a Survivor Inc., 713-741-4422 www.reconstructionofasurvivor.org
- Dr. Brandon Rottinghaus, University of Houston professor of political science, 713-743-3925, www.uh.edu/class/politcal-science firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maj. Kent Davis, commander, The Salvation Army Greater Houston Area, 713-752-0077, www.salvationarmyhouston.org