Bibliophiles slowly poisoned by personal library

Couple had collected tens of thousands of books

A Chinese couple that has a book collection spanning into the tens of thousands was slowly being poisoned by them, according to the South China Morning Post.

After experiencing unrelenting coughing fits and discovering their child suffered from rhinitis, the family spent thousands of dollars trying treatments and getting to the root of their health problems. Finally, the woman had authorities test the air quality inside the home, and they found every room to have excessive levels of formaldehyde. Authorities believed the colorless gas was coming through from the books' printing ink.

Doctors told the couple to try to centralize their book collection into one room, and also suggested downsizing.