VIDEO: Car seat scorched after water bottle left in sun

By Amanda Cochran - Social Media Producer
Headline Goes Here KFOR

KFOR

BOISE, Idaho - A power company in Idaho is warning people about the dangers of leaving water bottles in your car after a technician scorched a seat.

Dioni Amuchastegui is that technician. He explained in a video posted on social media: “So I was taking an early lunch in the truck, and happened to notice some smoke out of the corner of my eye and looked over and noticed the light was being refracted through the water bottle, and it was starting to catch the seat on fire.”

He explained the water bottle was positioned between the seats and light was shining through the driver’s side window, passed through the bottle and burned two spots in the seat.

“I was a little surprised,” Amuchastegui said. “I actually had to do a double-take, and checked it again, and sure enough, it was super-hot, and I even stuck my hand under the light. Just hard to believe at first, but yeah, we tested it again, and we registered the heat. … With a non-contact thermometer, it was extremely hot and, I mean it was hot enough to start burning a hole through the seat, so that’s not something you really expect, having a water bottle catch your chair on fire.”

The temperature registered at 213 degrees, according to the video.

Watch the full video below.

 

Have you ever experienced this kind of thing? Let us know in the comments.

Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.