Southeast Houston couple jumps out of window to escape fire

Firefighters: Space heater caused fire

HOUSTON - A southeast Houston couple lost everything in a house fire early Wednesday morning.

Houston firefighters battled flames at a home on Hemlock Street and Redwood Street shortly before 2 a.m.

Crews said flames were shooting from the rear of the one-story home. 

The couple who lived in the home was already outside. They told firefighters they woke up to smoke and flames all around them. The fire was blocking their path to the doors, so they had to jump out of a window to survive. They were not hurt.

Houston firefighters said that a space heater in the living room started the fire.

The home was destroyed.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.