Police respond after Little League game in Texas City turns ugly

A championship game turned into a war of words

TEXAS CITY - Police were called to a Little League field in Texas City Monday night after a championship game turned into a war of words. The game was between League City and Santa Fe and things got ugly after a young pitcher took a line drive to the head.

The young player from Santa Fe collapsed after getting hit on the side of the head. Emmett Parsutt was rushed to the hospital, where he underwent a CT scan and stayed under observation until early Tuesday morning. His parents and coaches believe the other player may have been hitting with a bat that had been altered.

"Every parent in the stands was also concerned about the bat. The littlest kid barely swings and he hit it over the fence," said Emmett Parsutt, Sr.

After the hit, the Santa Fe fans were quick to react, questioning whether the bat used by the League City player had been altered. In the moments that followed, a Santa Fe assistant coach ended up cracking the bat and Texas City Police had to be called to restore peace in the stands.

"The gentleman that removed the bat and took it off the field was confronted by our fans and I couldn't tell you what happened after that. It was getting pretty heated and pretty ugly," said Santa Fe All Star Manager Bryan Alexander.

The League City Little League president didn't want to talk on-camera, but told Local 2 the bat hadn't been altered.

The League City team ended up going on to win the game. The Santa Fe All Star coach said it wasn't about winning or losing. He's appealing to the national Little League Association to deal with the issue.

"It's not just about hitting home runs. Sometimes the ball stays on the field and if you're increasing your distance and its also increasing your exit speed, there's a good chance you could hurt or kill somebody," said Alexander.

The Texas City Police Department told Local 2 no arrests were made. According to the League City Little League President, the bat in question was turned over to Texas City Police and then back to its owner.

Meanwhile, Charlie Sweetin, the District 14 Little League administrator, told Local 2 the parents of the League City player have offered to have the bat tested by a third party. He is confident that testing will prove the bat was unaltered.

Copyright 2013 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.