HFD: Cigarette may have started fire

By Mark Boyle - Reporter

HOUSTON - A home near the University of Houston caught fire Monday morning, and investigators said they suspect the flames may have been sparked by a cigarette.

Houston firefighters said they arrived at the home on Arbor Street about 7 a.m. and quickly realized a man was trapped inside.

The smoke was thick but contained to the living room area.

Crews rushed inside and were able to pick up the man and take him outside. He was rushed a local hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Meanwhile, arson investigators determined the man had been smoking at the time and was on oxygen.

It's believed a cigarette may have caused the fire, according to Jay Evans with the Houston Fire Department.

The name of the victim hasn't been released.

Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.