Club shooting leaves 3 dead in northeast Houston

Police: Argument led to fatal shootings at I.C.U parking lot

HOUSTON - Police are investigating a shooting in northeast Houston that left three people dead and three others injured.

The shooting happened outside Club I.C.U in the 9500 block of Mesa Road in northeast Houston.

According to Houston police, two groups of people had some sort of altercation inside the club near closing time Sunday at 2 a.m. The argument spilled outside into the parking lot of the club. That's when police said a man in one of the groups pulled out a gun and started shooting.

"A male came out with a gun, shot once in the air, people started running and fleeing. Ultimately, several more gunshots were discharged," said HPD Homicide Investigator Richard Bolton.

Police said two of the victims were killed in the parking lot, the third was transported to a nearby hospital where they later died as a result of their wounds.

HPD said three female victims were also taken to nearby hospitals with injuries that are not life-threatening, making a total of six people shot.

"My brother and my son-in-law and my nephew did not have to lose their life," said Yvette McNeal, a family member of all three victims who was inside the club with her family.

McNeal was celebrating her birthday, along with her brother Gilbert Kibble, 39, who was one of the victims killed in the parking lot

HPD said the gunman was inside the club at some point during the night. Club-goers said he was in the group that provoked the argument inside.

Curtis Steward, 22, also died at the scene. He was with his family celebrating.

"We was together, he don't dance but he danced. I asked him to dance with me and we danced. Everything was going good," said Curtis' mother, Debra Steward.

Steward parted ways with her son at the club, not knowing these words would be the last she would say to him.

"He was walking away, and we was driving, about to turn, and I said 'hey boy, I love you boy." said Steward.

According to both police and his family, Steward, along with Gilbert, were trying to help break up the fight outside before they were both shot and killed.

"He was trying to break up the fight. There was fighting, then he began fighting, maybe defending himself," said Bolton.

"This is the first birthday party my brother ever had. My brother was trying to keep peace because we were all trying to go home," said McNeal.

Felipe Castillo, 26, was also shot to death. He died at an area hospital.

HPD said the gunman sped off after the shooting and is still at-large. If you have any information, call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

Copyright 2012 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.