Restaurant Report Card July 25: Unsavory findings

By Amy Davis - Reporter/Consumer Expert

HOUSTON - Dead mice in a River Oaks grocery store, and maggots inside the food at a local restaurant were found during this week's Restaurant Report Card

At Yummy Kitchen at 9326 Bellaire, what health inspectors found in the kitchen was anything but "yummy." They wrote that they "observed gnats and maggots in 20 pounds of tofu mix."

When we stopped by, the owner told Local 2's Amy Davis she had an explanation.

"That is a very oriental style," she said. "Like American people, they make cheese."

"And so maggots inside tofu is what, sort of like a delicacy," Davis asked.

"My English is not very good, sorry," the woman apologized.

We went to the web to help her out. We found several websites that describe the process for making what's called "stinky tofu."

One blog read:

"Fresh tofu is added to a brine made from fermented milk, meat, vegetables and sometimes seafood. The brine can be so rotten that it will be infested with maggots."

Another travel agency website read:

"Depending on the ways of preparation, the process can be extremely unsanitary; the brine is covered with maggots and has extremely strong rotten odor."

The owner of Yummy Kitchen said she would not sell the dish anymore.

"I have customers that are very upset they cannot have any of the stinky tofu," she said. "It's a very... in Taiwan, in China, it's a very, very Tawianese."

Inspectors cited the Kroger on West Gray in River Oaks for the dead mice they saw in the store.

At the Shipley Donuts at 1829 Bingle, there were sugar ants in the bulk storage container of sugar and dead insects on shelving and the floor.

A roach on the dishwashing machine greeted inspectors at Rockfish Seafood Grill at 11805 Westheimer.

And they found a trifecta of slime where you'd least expect it. There was pink and black slime in the ice machine of the Oceanaire Seafood Room in The Galleria. The slime was at the Chik-fil-A at 5005 Richmond Avenue. Inspectors noted heavy slime accumulation in the ice machine at Little Woodrow's at 4235 Bellaire Boulevard.

Our A's this week go to Comediantes at 7802 Gulf Freeway and Angie's Country Kitchen at 11708 Hempstead Highway. Both places had spotless inspections.

>>Click here to view the restaurant inspections.

To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, click here. How To File Restaurant Complaint We get our information from the City of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties. Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant: * For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online. * Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Sugar Land use this link or contact the Senior Sanitarian at 281-275-2278 or email If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477). Copyright 2014 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.