Restaurant Report Card for Oct. 4: Day cares

By Amy Davis - Reporter/Consumer Expert

HOUSTON - Thousands of us trust day cares to look after our little ones. They train, watch and teach our children every day. Something else they do is feed children. That's why we're checking out the kitchens of local day cares in this week's Restaurant Report Card.

The ABC's of finding a day care for your child usually involve asking questions, being involved and careful research. But how many parents take it all the way to "K"... the kitchen?

If they did, they might find what inspectors did at Kids R People 2 Academy at 2606 Parker Road in northeast Houston. The day care's director didn't want to talk with Local 2 on camera about the adult cockroaches inspectors said they found under the sink, under the microwave, in food cabinets and the utensil drawer. The director did tell us exterminators have since cleared out the cockroaches.

Just Like Mom at 7844 Tierwester may be just like mom if she has cockroaches and insect droppings in her cabinets, which inspectors said they found there.

Inspectors said there were more roaches and roach droppings at Walker's Day Care Center at 8432 Livingston.

Inspectors asked employees of Robindell Child Development at 5801 Dashwood to eliminate the presence of roaches and droppings in the food cabinets and on the wall.

Restaurants in this week's report card

It wasn't roaches, but evidence of rodents at Honey Bee Academy at 6717 Saint Augustine that got the inspector's attention.

At the YMCA Child Care Center in the Texas Medical Center at 5614 H. Mark Crosswell, Jr. St., inspectors said they found slime in the ice machine.

Unlike restaurants, where spotless inspections are rare, there are a lot of perfect inspections at Houston day cares. We're giving A's this week to Ashford Montessori at 3138 South Dairy Ashford and the Alpha Kids Center at 8511 North Houston Rosslyn Road.

To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit How To File Restaurant Complaint We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties. Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant: * For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online. * Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Sugar Land use this link or contact the Senior Sanitarian at 281-275-2278 or email If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477). Copyright 2012 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.