Restaurant Report Card for March 1: Rats & roaches

By Amy Davis - Reporter/Consumer Expert

HOUSTON - They eat without paying and they scare off the guests. The type of diners some restaurants are attracting are not good for business.

At La Union restaurant at 9575 Wilcrest, rats are literally eating the place up. City of Houston health inspectors said they observed a gnawed hole in the ceiling and another one at the corner of the floor juncture and the wall in the store room.

At Roland's Swiss Bakery at 9434 Katy Road, inspectors told employees to clean up the rodent debris under the shelving of the dry food storage area and the shelving where utensils are kept. Employees at Don Pico's Mexican restaurant at 2110 Bay Area Boulevard are making roaches right at home. Inspectors wrote "conditions of premises affording the harborage of cockroaches."

At Taco Rey, a truck parked at 63 Berry Road in north Houston, an inspector observed a cockroach run across a cutting board.

At Vincenzo's Italian Grill at 12510 North Freeway, inspectors said they spotted roach activity near the utility room, employee restroom and the reach-in cooler.

To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit How To File Restaurant Complaint We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties. Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant: * For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online. * Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Sugar Land use this link or contact the Senior Sanitarian at 281-275-2278 or email If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477). Copyright 2012 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.