Restaurant Report Card for June 28: Live roach on plate

By Amy Davis - Reporter/Consumer Expert
Headline Goes Here

HOUSTON - Imagine sitting down for a bite to eat with a friend, and then realizing it's not just the two of you at your table. When an uninvited guest made one woman lose her appetite, she called KPRC Local 2 consumer investigator Amy Davis to get the restaurant on this week's Restaurant Report Card.

"I picked up my fork to eat the rice and a live cockroach just ran out of my plate," said Emma Coll.

Coll said she went to Pho Saigon on Highway 6 near Dulles in Sugar Land on June 12.  When she saw the roach, Coll said she dropped her fork, left the restaurant and then called the Sugar Land Health Department. When inspectors stopped by two days later, they said they also observed "live roach activity."

When Davis stopped by Pho Saigon, employees said neither the owner nor manager was there to talk about the health inspector's findings. The owner called later to say that he's switched pest control companies to get the roach problem under control.

At Sarita's Bakery, doing business as Tomas Bakery at 1307 Yale, inspectors said they saw roaches in an unused ice machine and freezer. 

There was a roach crawling across the floor and another on the wall above the steam table at Juanita's Mexican Restaurant at 2728 West T.C. Jester, inspectors said.

In the kitchen of Vintage Place at 3402 Vintage, inspectors said employees were not using effective measures to minimize the presence of cockroaches.

It was weevils in the bags of flour that got inspector's attention at India Grocery & Spices at 4007 Ade.

Pies by Simon Hugh at 6607 South Gessner is back for a repeat mention. Back in December, inspectors told employees to put out more rat traps. Apparently that didn't work because this time inspectors said they found mouse droppings on top of canned goods, behind the freezer and behind a desk. They asked employees to put out more glue traps and bait and seal the hole at the bottom of the back door.

How about a cold drink?  You can hold the ice at Starbucks at 2801 South Shepherd, Bouray's Burrito Bar at 609 Clay and Lone Star College at 20000 Kingwood Drive. All three had slime or black mold in their ice machines, inspectors said.

There was no slime and no violations at Papa's Burgers at 5815 Westheimer or at Tastee Kreme Ice Cream at 2523 Fairway Park Drive. Both places earn A's in this week's Restaurant Report Card.

To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit How To File Restaurant Complaint We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties. Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant: * For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online. * Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Sugar Land use this link or contact the Senior Sanitarian at 281-275-2278 or email If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477). Copyright 2012 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.