Restaurant Report Card for Feb. 28: Sludge & slime

By Amy Davis - Reporter/Consumer Expert

HOUSTON - Sludge, slime and roaches -- three things you probably don't want to see in any restaurant. But inspectors found them all in this week's Restaurant Report Card.

At Dr. Gleem on Ella near the North Loop, you can get your car washed, get an oil change and fill up on grub at Facundo Cafe. But inspectors closed the small restaurant when they said they saw waste water described as "sludge" coming up from the floor drain in the kitchen.

"We couldn't determine what it was," said Danny Harper, a co-partner of Facundo. "We just got it fixed right away."

Diner Craolyn Barker said she's willing to let the violation slide.

"It was just probably an accident, you know, because they're always very neat, very clean," she said. "The food is awesome."

Conditions were not so awesome at the Spice of India at 2122 Holly Hall. Inspectors said there was roach activity on the kitchen walls and floors.

Inspectors said they found rodent droppings under the chips warmer at El Penjamo at 6110 Lyons.

The slime squad found the slippery stuff all over the city -- at Buffalo Wild Wings in Rice Village, Starbucks at 2021 Northpark and the McDonald's at 11323 Fuqua.

Our A+ this week goes to BB's Kitchen at 2710 Montrose. Inspectors said there were no violations when they stopped by the Cajun restaurant.

To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, click here. How To File Restaurant Complaint We get our information from the City of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties. Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant: * For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online. * Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Sugar Land use this link or contact the Senior Sanitarian at 281-275-2278 or email If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477). Copyright 2014 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.