Real estate heir accused of urinating on candy rack turns himself in

By Phil Archer - Reporter

HOUSTON - Millionaire real estate heir Robert Durst turned himself in to authorities Wednesday afternoon after being accused of relieving himself on a candy rack inside a Houston pharmacy.

Durst arrived at 4:30 p.m. accompanied by his bail bondsman. He appeared frail as he made his way to the bonding office.

The 71-year-old multi-millionaire moved slowly and stared straight ahead. He ignored Local 2's questions as he slowly walked to the front door.

Durst spent about an hour and a half at the office. He posted a $5,000 bond on a criminal mischief charge, a Class B misdemeanor, and was fingerprinted and photographed. He left just after 6 p.m., again refusing to answer questions from reporters.

Durst is accused of exposing himself inside a CVS pharmacy on Kirby Drive near his home Sunday, then urinating on a candy display and cash register. He left the store before police arrived.

The Harris County District Attorney's office says he was charged Tuesday, but that charge still doesn't appear to have been entered in the county court system.

Durst's attorney told us Tuesday he can't explain what allegedly happened in the drug store Sunday, but says Durst has been dealing with medical issues in recent months.

"It's bizarre enough to scratch your head and wonder. If he's not in an altercation with somebody, if he's not doing this out of spite or anger, if there's some type of medical issue, did something happen?" Lewis said.

It's the latest twist in the strange saga of the real estate mogul. Durst made international headlines during his murder trial in 2003 when he was accused of shooting and killing his neighbor, Morris Black, dismembering Black's body, and then throwing his body parts into Galveston Bay.

At the time, Durst was dressing as a woman and living at a Galveston boarding house, despite his sizable wealth.

Durst admitted to killing Black, but claimed it was done in self-defense. A Galveston County jury acquitted Durst on murder charges.

However, Durst was sentenced to five years in prison on evidence tampering and bond jumping charges related to the case.

Durst was rearrested in 2005 for a parole violation when he was spotted near the Galveston boarding house where the killing occurred.

Durst was questioned about the disappearance of his first wife in 1980, and about the case of a woman friend found dead in California in 2000. He was not charged with any crime in those cases.

His attorney says Durst suffers from Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism, and that the 71-year-old multi-millionaire has had health issues in recent years.

Copyright 2014 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.