HOUSTON - More than 50 protesters gathered Friday outside a courthouse in downtown Houston as a couple charged in a fatal confrontation outside a Sheldon restaurant nearly two months ago prepared for a hearing.
One of the signs carried by the protesters read, “We eat together. We kill together.”
- John Hernandez death case: Timeline of events
- Thompsons head to court day after Hernandez family files lawsuit
- Family, friends lay Hernandez to rest, vow 'Justice for John'
- Vigil held for John Hernandez, man who died after altercation with…
- Retired federal agent explains what led to fast indictment in case of…
- Outside grand jury room, Denny's employees describe fatal confrontation
- Protesters march, demand justice in man's death after Denny's confrontation
- Deputy involved in deadly Denny's confrontation placed on leave
- Grand jury to hear case of man who died after Denny's confrontation
- Cause of death of man who died after Denny's confrontation released;…
- Attorney of deputy, husband involved in Denny's confrontation speaks
- Surveillance video shows 3 men wanted in northwest Houston Denny's robbery
- 'Justice for John:' Family of man who died after confrontation with…
- Man dies after confrontation with husband of Harris County deputy
Harris County sheriff’s Deputy Chauna Thompson, 45, and her husband, Terry Thompson, 41, were charged with murder in the death of John Hernandez, 24.
The Thompsons briefly appeared in court just after 9 a.m. The judge reset the hearing for a later date.
With a tight security detail, the Thompsons made it from the 17th floor of the courthouse and out the back door before KPRC 2 cameras could catch up to them.
Across from the courthouse, Hernandez supporters released balloons and chanted, "Justice for John."
Some supporters said they would be there for every appearance to “see this thing through."
"We're here to support the family in hopes in the future there is a guilty verdict for the Thompsons," said Hernandez’s cousin Susana Santana.
Hernandez died three days after the May 28 confrontation with the Thompsons outside a Denny’s restaurant. Video of the incident appeared to show Terry Thompson using a chokehold and lying on top of Hernandez while Chauna Thompson held down one of Hernandez’s arms.
Medical examiners ruled Hernandez’s death a homicide and determined he died from oxygen deprivation due to strangulation and chest compression.
The Thompsons were released from jail on bond.
Chauna Thompson has been indefinitely placed on unpaid administrative leave.
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.