HOUSTON - The prosecution rested its case Wednesday against a Houston woman who is accused of killing her husband nearly five years ago and staging a home invasion to cover it up.
Before defense attorneys for Sandra Melgar began to present their case, they asked the judge for a directed verdict, seeking to dismiss the case. The judge denied the request.
More News Headlines
The brother of Jaime Melgar, Sandra Melgar’s husband, was the first to take the stand as the defense began presenting witnesses.
Investigators said that relatives found the Melgars on Dec. 23, 2012, tied up in closets. Jamie Melgar had been stabbed, investigators said.
Sandra Melgar told investigators that she had blacked out and woke up in the closet, not knowing how she and her husband ended up there, according to police.
Nineteen months later, a grand jury indicted Sandra Melgar on a murder charge.
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.