CASTLE ROCK, Colo. – A Colorado woman accused of working with supporters of QAnon to have her son kidnapped from foster care can be put on trial, a judge ruled Thursday.
Judge Lawrence Bowling admitted his decision was a “close call” because the prosecution did not definitively lay out Cynthia Abcug’s role in what authorities say was a scheme with supporters of QAnon, a far-right conspiracy theory centered on the belief that President Donald Trump is waging a secret campaign against enemies of the “deep state” and a child sex trafficking ring.
However, the fact that she bought a gun as authorities say the talks about the kidnapping raid were happening last year swayed him at this stage of the proceedings.
The vast majority of the evidence presented against Abcug during the court hearing was based on information provided by her 15-year-old daughter last September to her therapist, a social worker and police.
Abcug’s lawyers were denied a chance to question the daughter during the hearing.
In their questioning of the case worker and a police detective, they stressed the daughter could not provide many details about the plot, noting that she had learned to “tune out” her mother who had become very upset when her son was put into foster care in January 2019 after she was suspected of lying about his health problems.
They also pointed out that at first the daughter said she did not know when the raid would be carried out but later said she thought it would be done before the end of October 2019.
Abcug was arrested in Montana on Dec. 30, 2019, after leaving Parker, the Denver suburb where she lived with her daughter. She was charged with conspiracy to commit second-degree kidnapping after being returned to Colorado.