Neighbor helps woman, 100, escape house fire

Headline Goes Here KPRC photojournalist John Treadgold

HOUSTON - Authorities said a neighbor helped a 100-year-old woman escape a fire at her southeast Houston home.

The fire started around 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at the home on England Street at Balkin Street.

Before Houston firefighters responded to the scene, a neighbor helped the elderly woman out of the house.

Houston fire officials said the fire, caused by an electrical short, started in a room on the second floor. The room suffered smoke and water damage.

The woman was treated and released by HFD firefighters.

Copyright 2014 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.