Missing girl, 11, found safe

By Gianna Caserta - Reporter, Mary Benton

HOUSTON - Three days after 11-year-old Kayla Miles was reported missing, she was found unharmed at the Landing at Westchase apartment complex.

At around 10 Thursday morning, a woman spotted the girl walking outside. She recognized her from news reports and called police.

When officers arrived, Kayla told them she had run away and was staying with a friend who lives at the apartment complex. She told officers she was ready to go home and was reunited with her mother.

Family members reported Kayla missing on Monday. Her mother believed she was being held against her will.

On Wednesday, volunteers with Texas EquuSearch placed fliers in the areas where she was last seen.

The Houston Police Department says there is no indication of foul play.

Earlier story

Natasha Miles says she hasn't been able to sleep since her daughter disappeared.

Eleven-year-old Kayla Miles was spending the weekend with family members. She went to church with them Sunday, but disappeared sometime Monday morning.

"I won't rest until my baby is home," Natasha Miles, said. "We want her to come home. She hasn't made no phone call. I haven't seen her. That's not my Kyla. That's not my child. She would have called home by now."

Texas Equusearch has joined with the family members trying to locate Kayla. They spent part of the day passing out fliers with Kayla's picture and information.

Houston police have listed the case as a runaway. But officers are looking for Kayla. The Houston Police Department issued a critical reach alert but not an Amber Alert.

But volunteers say they feel it's their duty to try to reunite the family.

"Any child 11 years old, out alone without proper supervision and stuff is in danger, yes," Frank Black of Texas Equusearch said.

Natasha Miles says people in the area have reported seeing her daughter with an older woman near Scott and Belfort streets in southeast Houston.

She said her daughter is easily influenced and may not realize she's possibly in danger.

"HPD told me to let them do their part and stop searching," Natasha Miles said. "I'm a momma. I'm going to search for my baby until she comes home."

Copyright 2014 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.