Man wanted in death of missing girlfriend captured

By Keith Garvin - Anchor/Reporter , Courtney Gilmore - Anchor/Reporter , Mark Boyle - Reporter

BUFFALO, Texas - After more than a month on the run, 29-year-old Colt Morgan is in custody for allegedly stabbing his girlfriend to death in October.

Local 2 was the the only station there when detectives led Morgan in handcuffs into the Harris County Homicide Headquarters late Tuesday evening.

After receiving a 911 call, officers arrested Morgan Tuesday afternoon nearly two hours north of Houston in the town of Buffalo in Leon County.

Police there said Morgan had been hiding out in a maintenance shed behind a hotel. When an officer spotted him, Morgan ran into some nearby woods. The officers chased him, ran him down and took him into custody. The ending was far different from the last time Morgan was confronted by authorities.

Just a few weeks ago in Buffalo, dashcam video captured Morgan head-butting and getting away from a different officer who tried to arrest him.

Tuesday's capture comes as comforting news to the family of Wende Marshall. Authorities said Morgan stabbed Marshall to death after an argument in October, burned her body, then sprinkled her remains in her backyard in the 11200 block of Fleur Drive in northwest Harris County.

Morgan initially told investigators Marshall had left her residence and went to a friend's home after arguing with him.

Apprehending Morgan had become a top priority.

"Outstanding job by the state, federal, local authorities," said Leon County Sheriff Kevin Ellis. "To all these officers and citizens of the county coming together and getting that information out to look for this guy."

Authorities said they found a gun, a silencer, horse medicine, warm weather gear and other items in the shed where Morgan had been hiding in.

Officials have not said how long they believe he was there.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.