HOUSTON – The Houston Police Department Special Victims Division discussed the arrest of a suspect who was charged with sexually assaulting three women and who may be responsible for more similar cases.
Uffot Williams is charged with three counts of sexual assault for separate incidents that occurred between October 2021 and January 2022.
Each victim reported that the suspect drove them to bars on the Richmond Avenue-Westheimer strip and said they became incapacitated after drinking alcoholic beverages Williams brought to them. The victims are women between 25 and 30 years old, HPD investigator Ramona Chapa said.
Chapa said the women met Williams online via the “Black Facebook Dating and Instagram apps.” In all three cases, investigators said the victims said they were taken to hotels by Williams and woke up alone and naked from the waist down. Two of the women said they were sexually assaulted by him at the Crystal Inn located at 10830 Main St. A toxicology report revealed there was a presence of drugs in two of the three victims’ systems.
Authorities collected DNA evidence from each of the victims and entered it into the National Combined DNA Index System. In late 2022, Chapa said a match occurred between the three cases, which indicated a common male DNA profile was present. Prior to receiving a match, investigators said they were unable to develop a positive suspect identification. Police brought Williams in for questioning and allegedly admitted to engaging in intimate relationships with two of the three women. Williams was then served with a DNA warrant and lab reports confirmed that he couldn’t be excluded as the common male DNA profile found.
“Honestly, that’s how we linked all three cases, was through that DNA hit, so prior to that, we were unable to develop a suspect but once that CODIS match came in, we were able to kind of lock in and that was the catalyst for the investigation,” Chapa said.
During questioning, Chapa said the suspect admitted to using various dating websites and social media platforms to meet women. He frequents the Locker Room Sports Bar on Ennis Street and Uptown Hookah Lounge on Richmond Avenue.
Police arrested Williams on May 15. He was taken to the Harris County Jail and has not posted bail.
“If you or anyone you know has encountered Ufot Williams under similar circumstances, please reach out to us at the Houston Police Department Adult Sex Crimes Unit. Our phone number is 713-308-1180,” Chapa said.
Chapa said the suspect has a criminal record but chose not to comment on it at this time.
HPD Adult Sex Crimes Unit Sgt. Corey Blanks offered this advice for online dating safety:
- Cross-check other social media accounts to confirm the identity of the person
- Block and report suspicious users
- Check the person’s criminal history using legitimate companies
- Do not respond to requests for financial help
- Chat online at your comfort level
- Video chat before meeting in person, and
- Wait to share any personal information (date of birth, social security numbers, driver’s license, address, etc.)
HPD Detective Jacorey Chaney gave the following suggestions for in-person dating:
- Set boundaries prior to meeting
- Meet in public places during daytime hours
- Share location with friends and family members
- Watch your alcohol consumption
- Walk away when you feel uncomfortable or unsafe
- Have a good exit strategy
- Plan your own transportation
- Trust your instincts and remember that you have a right to say no, always.
HPD’s Victim Services Division can also be reached at 713-308-0080.