HOUSTON – Mayor Sylvester Turner held a news conference to give an update on coronavirus relief efforts in the city.
- 146 new cases, 2 new deaths
- Increasing access to mobile testing sites. The city will have 24 mobile before the end of the month.
- Walgreens opening a new site. Make an appointment at Walgreens.com. People can get results in 15 minutes.
- The key with face masks or coverings is to wear them over your nose and mouth. The purpose is to protect others from you, especially when you are around others.
- People were heeding the warning to wear masks in March and April, but now people are not wearing them as much. City is urging people to continue to wear masks in order to help contain the spread.
- Dr. David Persse with the Houston Health Department said that wearing masks and being cautious is the only way we will contain the virus.
- Turner said he was talking about not evicting people who have gotten behind because of COVID-19, not those who have failed to pay rent previous to the outbreak. Some judges are doing them, but not all of them are on board with holding on evictions.