HPD: Man beaten, another choked to death after road rage incident

By Samantha Ptashkin - Reporter, Courtney Gilmore - Anchor/Reporter, Jill Courtney

HOUSTON - A minor fender-bender Tuesday led to a deadly case of road rage near the Texas Medical Center.

The accident between two pickup trucks occurred around 6 a.m. Tuesday off Highway 288 near Southmore.

Investigators say the drivers of the pickups eventually pulled into the Hermann Park Golf Course parking lot off North MacGregor Way near Alameda Road to exchange information.

Witnesses told police the driver of the Nissan, identified as 42-year-old Derek Brown, approached the 67-year-old driver of the Ford truck with aggression.

According to Detective Jesus Sosa with the Houston Police Department, the driver of the Nissan said, "You'll be sorry you gave me your information. I'm going to find you and kill you and your family."

Witnesses told police Brown pushed the older man.

"The driver of the Nissan started to assault the older driver," said Sosa. "The older driver was so badly beaten he was rushed to the hospital in serious condition,and could physically not talk to officers."

Police said while the older driver was being attacked, his son got out of the truck and tried to defend his father. Officers said there was at least a 100-pound difference between the young man and Brown,but in that moment, detectives say, the younger man jumped on Brown's back and put him in a choke hold.

"While the older driver's son was on the other driver's back, he was yelling 'Call 911. Call 911.' The driver of the Nissan collapsed before emergency crews arrived," said Sosa.

Both drivers were taken to Ben Taub General Hospital. Brown died at the hospital.

"This is just very out of the ordinary for this part of town," said Joe Arduini, who was golfing near the scene when police arrived. "You have a small park and hospitals around us."

"I think you just have to understand that someone can get angry at you and you have to just move on and just hold your head high," said golfer Joshua Gibbons.

Police said the Ford driver, who was badly beaten, is still in the hospital. Officers are unable to talk to him because of his condition.

Police said the son of the driver stayed at the scene and waited for officers to arrive.

"Right now, it looks like a son defending his father," said Sosa.

No charges have been filed at this time, but all of the evidence will be handed over to a Harris County grand jury.

Copyright 2014 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.