HOUSTON - A Catholic priest has used a kayak to get from his home in southeast Houston to higher ground and hoped to say Mass for people stranded on the streets.
Father David Bergeron says that he tried to buy some wine for Mass at a convenience store but couldn't because sales are prohibited in Texas on Sunday before noon.
- Over 1,000 people plucked from Harvey flood waters
- Mayor Turner addresses critics who claim evacuations should've been ordered
- Harvey downgraded to Tropical Depression, catastrophic flooding continues
- Woman drowns after driving vehicle into high water, officials say
- Harvey: How to file now for help from FEMA
Bergeron told a Houston TV station that: "This is how America was evangelized -- by canoe."
He says that he is praying for people affected by Tropical Storm Harvey.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.